Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ode to a blankie..........


When Brody was a tiny baby, Auntie Jill made him a blanket. It is furry on one side and silky polka dot on the other.

This Blanket quickly became his best friend! He has carried this thing around with him his whole life.


When I would wash "blankie" (as he is affectionately known.... (and yes he does have a gender,) Brody would wait by the washing machine and cry until his blankie was returned to him.



When brody turned 3 he asked for a "blankie" themed birthday party... We settled on a polka dot cake to represent his most treasured possession. Brody was thrilled!

But my all-time fave "blankie" story is this..........

Blankie is now 4 and half years old and as you can imagine, he is not looking as fresh as he once was. While he was in the dryer oneday, some of his fluffy side had melted together and left poor "blankie" with a rough patch Brody liked to call... "scratchy"
"Scratchy" was the enemy. Oh how Brody loved his "blankie" but hated "scratchy". One day Brody had enough of dealing with "scratchy" he asked me if I could fix his blankie for him. I tried pulling the fused fabric pieces apart, but it was no use. It looks like "scratchy" is here to stay. Brody tried to accept "scratchy" as part of his precious "blankie" but "scratchy" was just so anoying!



With tears in his eyes Brody asked me once again if I could fix his "blankie". Determined to help my troubled son I asked Brody to go and fetch me some scissors. Excitedly he skipped off to find some scissor. When he returned, he handed me the scissors, looked down at his blanket and with a smug look on his face, he said .....
"You're going DOWN scratchy!!!"

This little expression has become a family joke now, when we play games together you will often hear one of us say... "you're going down scratchy!!!"


Thankfully we managed to save "blankie" and he has resumed his place indefinitely.



p.s This week Brody asked me nicely if I would cut the pink circles out of his blanket. "cos cos I don't like pink" I told him if I cut the pink circles out, his blanket would be ruined. To which he responded.. "well do it in the lines!" hahhahahah I love this little boy!

3 comments:

Ruth said...

LOVE it!

Cheryl said...

Oh I love it! I love all those sweet pictures of him asleep every where with blankie. I still remember the "blankie party" reqeust!

http://sjbrowntown.blogspot.com/ said...

thank heavens blankie survived the surgery. Does "he" need any post-op treatment that Auntie Jill might be able to help with? xoxoxoxo I love you bo-bo