Friday, November 7, 2008

drama.......... can't live with it, can't live without it!!! (apparently)

As the temperatures drop outside.... they are rising inside!!

I have been craving fries all morning.
I got the boys sorted with their lunch of hotdogs and fruit, and began making my own lunch. I poured some oil into a pot and placed it on the stovetop to heat. I turned around and began chopping potatoes into slices, I went into fantasy mode, I would put Brody down for his nap, settle Kyle with a movie, and I would curl up on the couch watch Dr Phil whilest eating a big bowl of delicious golden fries!!!... I was brought back to life when Kyle pointed out calmly that there was a fire. I turned to face the stove, to find the pot completely in flames. I calmly tried to decide what to do, I knew not to put water on it (from previous experience). but could not think what to do. Every alarm went off in the house. I switched the cooker off and pushed the pot off the heat, but the fire still raged! I stood there staring at the burning pot for a few seconds, racking my brain, but I could not think of a solution fast enough. The fire grew very fast and within seconds it was fierce and angry. I could feel the warmth on my skin and panic set in! I knew it was getting out of control and I started screaming for the boys to get out of the house!!
Kyle got soo scared that he ran and hid somewhere in the house. At this point, the fire caught hold of the microwave and all of a sudden the glass on the microwave shattered and exploded all over the kitchen! By now I was completely frantic, and kept screaming for kyle, who would not respond to my screams!! I finally saw and grabbed him and made my way outside dragging both boys with me! When we got outside, I began screaming... H_E_L_P!!!! but there was no-one in sight!! I was frantically running up and down the street shouting..."somebody please HELP!!" but... nothing!! Kyle kept saying..."call 911 or mark!!" I thought about calling 911, but I didnt know at what stage would that be neccesary??? I began ringing random doorbells on the street, screaming inbetween knocks!! and finally my next door neighbor came outside and asked what was wrong! " quick, please fire house, help fire help!!" my poor neighbor couldnt understand a word I was saying! apparently "frantic" and "scottish" is not a good combination!!!
While the boys waited outside, me and my new best friend ran back inside to find the cabinets now melting and blistering, and the fire continuing to grow. There were all manner of colorful words (not from my mouth might I add) but I must admit, I did agree with her!! I was absolutely petrified!! It was then that I noticed the vegetable oil bottle sitting on the counter -top, melting and leaning toward the fire. I did not feel that this was going to improve the situation, so I promptly moved it! A thick black smoke wrapped itself around us, and it was getting hard to breath, we ran round the house opening all the windows, and went back outside for air.
I grabbed the phone and tried ringing everyone I knew! I could not get hold of ANYONE!! mark, cheryl, Jill, cheryl, mark, mark, MARK, laurel, cheryl, CHERYL, jill, mark... seriously... MARK!!!!! but nope!! Paranoia set in.. why does nobody seem to care???
Meanwhile, my neighbor came back with her phone in hand and shouted to me... put a lid on the fire!! (she had just called her mom!) so I ran back in, and grabbed my huge metal wok, and bravely stuck my hand through the fire and over the whole pot! PHEW it did something! Infact it did alot! hey that was good advise!! I might not have to say goodbye to my beautiful new table or... my new house for that matter!!
Ok, I could try and calm down now, We all waited outside until the smoke went down, and within a few minutes the alarms stopped wailing, and I felt my blood pressure settling to a steady level, we did it!! Then I felt like a fool, why didnt I just do that at the start? it was so obvious and it could have saved a lot of damage! Or why didnt I just eat hotdogs with the kids? wait... I hate hotdogs!!! I finally got hold of Mark, and when I explained the situation he raced home. (Mark loves to save the day) He travelled at 100mph, to rescue us. (He loves an excuse to drive fast) He got here in record time, but forgot to change into his beloved yellow superman t'shirt ( I guess he didnt have time) When he got home he gave me a cuddle and said he was proud of me! It made me feel so lucky to have such a nice man, who finds it easy to put things into perspective. So, our 4 week old stove and microwave currently reside at the local dumpster! and our beautiful upgraded white cabinets are now a.... dusky black color with a lovely bubbled effect! Our fresh painted sage green walls, are a cloudy grey and the entire house is fragranced with a fluffy smoke flavor that goes right for the tonsils!! who wants to come to our house warming! (it certainly is warm in here!!)


here is one last look at the microwave before he left!

p.s I lost my craving for fries!

10 comments:

Frolicking Night Owl said...

OH MY! This is why i bake mine in the oven!! :) Easier on the thights too!! :)

Cheryl said...

Oh Bethie!!! Sorry I didn't have my phone on me. Can't believe it, but I think we can fix this... replace only a couple of cab doors... Love you!

The Curtis Family said...

Don't you Scots know anything about McDonald's???? :) Hands down best fries anyway!

Holy Cow Beth how scary. You know I've had my run-ins with kitchen fires, so if you STILL LIVED NEXT DOOR I could have helped.

Liz Richins said...

Oh Beth! I'm so sorry! On the other hand... you should be a writer... I was laughing so hard reading this!

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Awww Beth! That's terrible. You are a great writer, by the way . . .I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Mary-Sunshine said...

Bethie, I am so sorry! But I must admit, I LOVE reading that little saga!

Nina said...

haha... I love your drama! Miss living with you! nina

Brandis said...

Oh my goodness Beth, how scary! I'm glad you & the boys were safe & that the damage wasn't more!

Anonymous said...

whooaa drama :l I have to say, I'd have done exactly the same things as you there! yish.. but all are safe and I doubt that you or the kids will ever forget now how to control oil fires, I was thinking when I was reading 'cover it with a damp cloth?' probably not tho eh :S now I know!

Ballingham Family said...

I am so glad that you and your boys are ok! So glad to have you in the presidency with us! It has been a pleasure getting to know you! Can't wait for what is to come!