Sunday, August 14, 2011

tears,fears and fugitives.......



Brody has always had seperation anxiety! When he was 18 months old, he started nursery at our church. Every week without fail, someone would bring him to me informing me that he was sick. We slowly began to recognise a pattern, he had mastered the art of making himself throw up!! He was assigned his very own teacher. I would hand him to her, she would hold him over the bin let him do his thing, and that was that!
When Brody was 4 we signed him up to pre-school. Every morning he would happily chat the whole drive to pre-school, but as we approached Ms Jones house, he would get hysterical, crying kicking etc etc. I would carry him up to the door, and as I drove off, he would happily sit at his place and get on with his work.
As we know, Mr Brody just started kindergarten, his first couple of days were pretty perfect, but as the week progressed, Brody began to get upset as I pulled up to the school. On one occasion, he actually was running after my car as I was driving off, (there were 2 teachers holding him back as they ushered me to keep going) it was very upsetting to me but I figured that this was somewhat normal and that he would figure things out.
This past Tuesday, I received a phonecall from the assistant principle, informing me that Brody had managed to escape from school, and was trying to make his way home. I was shocked and upset about the incident and decided to remove the kids from the school.

THE NEW SCHOOL......
We went back and forth about what to do about Brodio and decided that moving him to a school that offered half day kindergarten was the answer. The school of choice teaches a grade above public school so we decided to take this opportunity to place kyle back in 1st grade and be with his correct age group (instead of being the youngest and smallest kid in his class)We thought long and hard about this and decided to go for it.
When it came to telling the boys the news, Brody was excited about the fact that school for him was only 3 hours long. But Kyle........ dear sweet little Kyle, was just heartbroken! I took him up to say goodbye to his teacher, and he just held her and sobbed. I watched with teary eyes as I wondered if I was making a big mistake.
Mark and I went to the shops to buy some last minute uniform stuff for the new school, and they began the very next day.

They both went without a hitch. Later that evening Kyle asked me..."mum have you ever been the kid in the playground that nobody plays with???" My heart just dropped... "why? is that what happened today kyle?" and he shook his head and bravely said no!
Later that night as I was tucking him into bed, he looked at me with a quivering lip and said..." I was that kid today" I had to look away to stop myself from losing it. He told me he asked someone if he could join in their game, but he said... "its too hard for you!" I told him it would get better and that he would make some friends really soon.

THE PLAN......
The next morning Kyle excited told me that he had come up with "A PLAN" He would talk to his teacher about the fact that nobody was playing with him outside, he was soo excited that he had solved his own problem. But when he came home that afternoon I asked him about the plan, and he said the teacher told him she would talk to the kids but she forgot! so he played alone for recess once again!


It is so hard to see your child struggle, and this was weighing heavily on me.

SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO BE THE SUPERHERO IN YOUR OWN LIFE!

I emailed his teacher to let her know the situation, and Kyle and I said a prayer and asked Heavenly Father to help Kyle make a friend.
The next day, We picked Kyle up from school and he had a huge grin on his face... he said he had made a friend!! It was such a special experience to be able to recognise that not only does Heavenly Father hear and answer MY prayers, but he hears and answers the prayers of my children. It was a beautiful feeling, and a lovely experience for Kyle to learn so early in his life that there is Somebody who loves him and is watching out for him.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my!

Leah said...

Oh that breaks my heart! I'm so glad he has found a friend. It's so hard to not want to be there for our child every step of the way. I feel for you Beth.

By the way...I've been catching up on your blog and I think you are hilarious!! Thanks for the laughs :)